What is Overuse injury?
Overuse injury does not happen suddenly or with by sudden jerk, overuse injury happens because of the doing same range of motion over and over again for a long time.
Overuse injury can happen to your muscle, tendons, ligaments, nd bones because of the repeated stress.
Since these are the injuries that happen over time, many people tend to ignore them but it’s important to understand the symptoms of overuse injury in order to diagnose it and heal it.
Symptoms may include-
- Decrease in strength
- Experiencing pain while doing a particular movement.
Treatments of Overuse Injuries
First of all, you need to stop doing that activity that is causing pain in the body.
Your healthcare provider might ask you to visit the physiotherapist to make you recover faster with your injury.
Your physician might ask you to take an X-ray of the injury to diagnose the damage.
Splints are a great way to reduce any further damage to muscle, tendon or ligament.
Medication of the overuse injury depends on the type of injury but rest is the most important factor to achieve faster recovery.
If you are experiencing acute pain then you can take help of ice packs and crap bandages to support your body part.
A recovery period of the injury depends on the type of injury, recovery time may range from a few weeks to several months.
How To Prevent Them?
- A proper warm-up is very required before stretching, people usually try to stretch the cold muscle which leads to rupture of muscle fibers.
- Don’t push yourself if you are experiencing pain, a lot of people make this common mistake, never underestimate the pain, it’s your body’s way of letting you about the injury.
- Alternate heavy training days with light weight training or functional training. This way you give your body the proper rest to recover.
- Always run on the soft and flat surface, if you experience a slight tilt in the surface then don’t run.
- Get new running shoes every 500 miles, after that distance shoe loses their ability to absorb shock.